1. Privacy generally
In collecting, holding, using, disclosing and otherwise managing your personal information, Wildlife Wonders will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
2. Kinds of personal information collected
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. Wildlife Wonders is a social enterprise which (among other things) provides ecotourism services by offering members of the public the opportunity to witness and experience Australia’s native flora and fauna. In conducting this social business, or as a result of our other interactions or dealings with you, Wildlife Wonders may collect your personal information.
The kinds of personal information that Wildlife Wonders collects will vary depending on our particular interaction or dealing with you. However, generally speaking, the kinds of personal information Wildlife Wonders collects may include:
- your contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth;
- details regarding the transactions you undertake in respect of the Wildlife Wonders business; and
- other information necessary to provide you with information regarding our products or services or undertake any transactions or dealings with you.
Wildlife Wonders also collects internet/technology related information from visitors to our site or users of our other online services, including the referring URL, your IP address, which browser you used to come to the site, the country, state or province, the pages of our site that you viewed during your visit and any search terms entered on our site.
Wildlife Wonders may also hold other kinds of personal information as permitted or required by law or other kinds of personal information that we notify you of at or about the time of collection.
Generally, we do not collect sensitive information about individuals. Information about your health, racial or ethnic origin, political persuasions, criminal record and religious or philosophical beliefs are all examples of sensitive information. If we do need to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so with your consent or where we are required to do so by law.
3. How we collect personal information
Generally, Wildlife Wonders collects your personal information directly from you. For example, Wildlife Wonders may collect your personal information:
- when you request information or services from us, or otherwise provide us with your details;
- where you enter into, or propose to enter into, a transaction with us, including the provision of our ecotourism services;
- where you use our websites other online services or otherwise interact with us, including when you donate to us;
- if you attend an event conducted by us, including any education sessions;
- when you complete a survey or enter a trade promotion or competition conducted by us; or
- if you post information to our website or any of our social media sites or interact with us on social media.
There may be occasions when Wildlife Wonders collects your personal information from someone other than you, for example:
- from our other service providers that help us provide our services (for example, customer support information or payment information);
- from third parties you authorise to disclose your information to us, including your educational institution, travel agency or tour operator;
- from a publicly maintained record or other publicly available sources of information including social media and similar websites; or
- from third parties if you connect to our services or register an account with us using an external third-party application, such as Facebook or Google.
Generally, Wildlife Wonders will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect that personal information from you.
4. Purposes for which personal information is used
Generally speaking, Wildlife Wonders collects, holds, uses or discloses personal information so that we can maintain, improve and provide you with our products and services.
Some examples of the purposes for which Wildlife Wonders collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information include to:
- communicate with you;
- respond to your queries and provide you with information you request from us;
- to conduct our business and facilitate the supply of our services to you;
- help us to manage the services we provide to you, including personalising your experience with our services;
- conduct promotions, competitions, giveaways and events;
- contact you to obtain your feedback regarding our products or services or to conduct other market research;
- administer, manage and process any transactions you enter into, or propose to enter into, with us;
- undertake direct marketing (as detailed in paragraph 5 below);
- analyse information we collect so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business and the services we offer (including by monitoring or recording our interactions with you for training purposes); and
- comply with the obligations of Wildlife Wonders under any applicable laws.
In addition to the purposes listed above, Wildlife Wonders may use your personal information for purposes related to the above purposes, other purposes which we notify you of when we collect the information and for purposes otherwise permitted or required by law.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, Wildlife Wonders takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to Wildlife Wonders. However, without certain information from you, Wildlife Wonders may not be able to provide services or information to you or may be limited in how we can interact with you.
5. Direct marketing
6. Disclosure of personal information
- related companies of Wildlife Wonders, including the Conservation Ecology Centre Pty Ltd and CEC Marengo Ltd;
- third parties engaged to perform administrative or other services (including customer relationship management services and risk, compliance and identification verification companies, technology);
- third parties wishing to promote, partner or otherwise deal with Wildlife Wonders or any business or assets of Wildlife Wonders;
- Wildlife Wonders’ professional advisors (including legal and accounting firms, auditors, consultants, insurers and other professional advisers);
- parties considering becoming a member of, or being affiliated with, Wildlife Wonders or any business or assets of Wildlife Wonders;
- other parties who invest in Wildlife Wonders or any business or assets of Wildlife Wonders;
- government authorities where required by law.
Wildlife Wonders may also disclose your personal information for other purposes if we notify you of the disclosure at or about the time of collecting the information, we have otherwise received your consent or the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
If you post information or other content to public sections of our websites or to our social media sites, you acknowledge that the information or content may be viewed by the public and/or users of the relevant website or social media site.
7. Overseas disclosures
Some of the parties that Wildlife Wonders discloses your personal information to may be located outside Australia, including technology service providers located in the United States of America, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that any such overseas recipients do not hold, use or disclose your personal information in a way that is inconsistent with the obligations imposed under the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
8. Links to other websites
9. Security of personal information
Wildlife Wonders takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Wildlife Wonders holds personal information in electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only with the appropriate passwords by authorised staff.
Your personal information will be kept on databases held on servers kept in a physically and technologically secured environment, accessed only by authorised personnel or contractors. Where personal information is held in hard copy, it will be held in controlled, access restricted premises which only authorised personnel or contractors will be permitted to access.
Wildlife Wonders will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless Wildlife Wonders is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
10. Access and correction
Wildlife Wonders takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure any personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
In addition, under the Privacy Act, you have a right to seek access to and correction of your personal information that is collected and held by Wildlife Wonders. If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that Wildlife Wonders holds about you, or you would like more information on Wildlife Wonders approach to privacy, please contact Wildlife Wonders using the details set out in paragraph 11 below. Wildlife Wonders will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you will have to provide proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- Wildlife Wonders requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- Wildlife Wonders may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects and will not exceed the cost to Wildlife Wonders for providing access in accordance with your request.
Wildlife Wonders will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request. If Wildlife Wonders refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, Wildlife Wonders will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms.
If you are dissatisfied with Wildlife Wonders refusal to grant access to, or correct, your personal information, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
11. Contacting Wildlife Wonders
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving any promotional or marketing communications or make a privacy complaint, please contact Wildlife Wonders using any of the following contact details:
Post: Wildlife Wonders, PO Box 296, Apollo Bay, VIC 3233
Phone: 1300 0 99467
12. Privacy complaints
Please direct all privacy complaints to Wildlife Wonders. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and Wildlife Wonders.
Wildlife Wonders will acknowledge your complaint within 14 days of receipt and endeavour to resolve it within 30 days, unless Wildlife Wonders informs you otherwise and seeks your agreement in writing.
Wildlife Wonders will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, or an extension to the time in which Wildlife Wonders will resolve it, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
The General Data Protection Regulation in the United Kingdom is regulated and enforced by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Each individual has the right to raise a concern/complaint to the ICO if they have any concerns about how their personal information and/or privacy is treated. You can do this via the ICO’s website at https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint, follow the links or have an online Live Chat.